Grow More, Waste Less exists to empower people to affect positive food system change from the ground up.
Cat Buxton is a busy cross-pollinator. A social entrepreneur and a self-described microbe geek, Cat loves to talk about bugs, soil health, gardening, and composting, pretty much wherever she goes. She manages the edible schoolyard at Thetford Elementary School, weaving it into K-6 project based learning, and is a technical guide for school compost systems. She’s the coordinator for Upper Valley Apple Corps and a host of other projects including the Vermont Healthy Soils Coalition.
Gardening and Compost Consulting
My goal is not to be your gardener but to teach you, your family, our school or community how to manage your landscape and provide the right conditions for a thriving, healthy, and productive ecosystem that meets your needs, and promotes diversity and optimal water flow above and below the ground. I can arrange for supplies and labor, work side by side with you and your family, or I can provide you with the plans and ongoing support to do it yourself.
- Assessment, design, project startup support.
- Site plans, annual work calendars, project timelines, and budgets.
- Site visits. One time or ongoing coaching.
- Group presentations. Classes. Workshops.
Garden and Landscape
Maximize your green spaces by growing more food and flowers in heathy living soil.
- Simple container gardens to full-scale lawn conversions.
- Sanctuary gardens. Rain gardens. Theme gardens of all kinds, for learning, for bees and butterflies, or for fun!
- Edible landscapes, annual and perennial vegetables, flowers, nuts and fruit.
- Control pests using organic gardening practices and regenerative soil management.
- Family gardening. Cat would love to coach your family in best practices for food production and land management.
- Water catchment systems. Watershed inventory.
Compost and Zero Waste
- Compost Doctor: – House calls locally. Make an appointment for a site visit or phone consultation.
- Compost systems design: worms to windrows and everything in between.
- Backyards, school, community compost, and small-scale operations.
- Compost instruction and support: food scraps, organic matter, yard waste, and humanure.
- Making compost tea and natural fertilizers.
- Improve your recycling systems: Simple waste assessments for homes, neighborhoods, workplaces, and schools.
Specializing in outdoor place based education. As the content expert, I’ll work with your team to develop standards-based curriculum that connects existing programs to the ongoing student learning experience.
- Farm-to-school and farm-based education support for classroom and cafeteria connections.
- Technical expertise, systems design and recipe development for on-site school composting.
- Edible school yards, thematic school garden design, production gardens.
- Outdoor and project-based-education curriculum support.
- Zero-waste recycling program design and training.
- Educator/presenter for all age groups.
- Indoor or outdoor classes. Cat loves to present on these topics.
- For a sample of some of Cat’s past presentations, visit Cat's Gallery. Custom presentations are available.
Community Project Organizer
- Project coordinator: Building stakeholder and community support and executing the minute details to keep your project moving forward.
Food Systems Advocacy
- Policies concerning: healthy food, water, soil, and ecosystems.
- Grassroots outreach, community organizing and community building.
- Speaker or presenter for your group, event, conference, or activist training.
- Organize messaging and social media campaigns.
- Group facilitation.