by Didi Pershouse. Clean Yield Assets. 2018.
The Agriculture of Hope: Climate Farmers of North America
by Seth Itzkan, Karl Thidemann, and Steve Keleti. Permaculture Magazine. 2017.
A Global Action Plan of Climate Recovery
by Jan Lambert and Michal Kravcik. Terra Nova Voice. 2015.
Lake Remediation Starts with Soil Restoration
by Jack Lazor, Butterworks Farm, Westfield VT. VT Digger. 2014.
SOS: Save Our Soils
Acres USA interview with Dr, Christine Jones. 2015.
Compost & The Promise of Microbes
Scientist David C. Johnson Explores Microbial Communities, Carbon Sequestration and Compost. Ecofarming Daily. Acres USA. 2018.
I commonly use these handouts in my workshops.
SOIL HEALTH MONITORING GUIDES
Soil Carbon Coalition monitoring materials can be found in their most recent form as free downloads on the Soil Carbon Coalition website: https://
Visual Soils Assessment Guide from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) 583 pages. Download the full guide.
• Soil Health Principles (24 minutes)
• “Soil Mindset" (3 minutes)
• Microbial Roots of Life and Health
• On Increasing Soil Organic Matter and Water Infiltration (2 minutes)
• Keys To Building a Healthy Soil (1 hour)
Co-founder of the Soil Carbon Coalition. Peter creates very useful maps among other things! His Butterworks Farm Land Listeners blog post includes a link to the Atlas of Biological Work showing water infiltration data collected at Butterworks Farm in Sept 2018 and a link to the first draft of a map showing 4-year averaging of length of green season in the Champlain Valley basin.
• Soil Food Web Compost and Compost Tea (38 minutes)
• Secrets to Soil Fertility Exposed (24 minutes)
• Importance of Holistically Managed Grazing Livestock (9 minutes)
Restoring Water Cycles by Restoring the Soil Carbon Sponge (seminar in Fairlee VT, 2016)
• Part 1 Restoring Water Cycles to Naturally Cool Climates and Reverse Global Warming (2 hrs, 15 minutes)
• Part 2 Regenerating the Soil Carbon Sponge (2 hrs 15 minutes)
Dr. David Johnson and Hui-Chun Su Johnson created the Johnson - SU compost bioreactor, A No-Turn Composting System that produces a microbially-diverse and fungal-dominant compost.
• How To Build A Reactor download .pdf.
• How it works, Video (12 min).
• Managing Soils for Soil Carbon Sequestration: Engineering Microbiology. More detailed slides are here.
Australia: Building soil and capturing carbon (Five, 6-10 minutes videos).
• Advancing Eco Agriculture has become well-known for helping farmers produce crops that show resistance to diseases and insects.
• The Plant Health Pyramid describes how soils and crops transition towards complete pest and disease resistance as they achieve higher levels of health. Lots of videos available.
The Hidden Half of Nature: Microbial Roots of Life & Health. (1 hour 20 min)
• Soul Fire Farm, Petersburg, NY. Book: Farming While Black.
• Acres USA interview March 2018.
• The Ecology of Care: Shifting from a Sterile to a Fertile Paradigm. (24 minutes)
• Didi is author of the book, "The Ecology of Care" and "Understanding Soil Health and Watershed Function: A Teacher's Manual". She offers online courses and great resources on her website.
Hope for Reversing Desertification and Climate Change - What You Can Do at Stonewall Farm, Keene NH, September 2018.
Pasture Cropping - Profitable Regenerative Agriculture.
Author of several articles and books including "Cows Save the Planet" and "Water in Plain Site".
ORGANIZATIONS AND WEBSITES
• The Atlasbiowork open source database shows evidence based landscape changes over time.
• Maps showing crop insurance indemnity payments in the US can be found here.. (Check out this map showing the places that have received payments for both flooding and drought on the same land in the same year (2014).
• Maps showing longevity of green season can be found here.
• Download a free teaching manual by Didi Pershouse, Understanding Landscape and Watershed Function.
Soil 4 Climate https://
Vermont Healthy Soils Coalition (VHSC)
Join VHSC. Membership is free. Listen or participate on our active email listserv. Learn from and contribute to our shared resources drive.
Vermont State: GSI Green Stormwater Infrastructure http://
Voices of Water for Climate http://
Research paper: Water for the Recovery of the Climate: A New Water Paradigm
Biodiversity For A Livable Climate https://
Follow Cat Buxton’s upcoming events and work with schools, communities and organizations on her Grow More, Waste Less Facebook page.
Vermont Healthy Soils Coalition (VHSC)
Join the VHSC Facebook group to follow the latest happenings in soil health.
Soil Carbon Coalition
’Like’ and follow Soil Carbon Coalition’s Facebook page.